How to Apply
Because VirtualSC is a program of the SC Department of Education, the online application portal and information about available positions can be found by visiting https://careers.sc.gov and searching for certified teaching positions within the SC Department of Education.
Although positions are posted as needed throughout the year, each spring, a large number of positions are posted in preparation for VirtualSC’s summer semester, which is its largest enrollment period of the year.
VirtualSC employs highly qualified teachers who:
- are passionate about and have a proven track record of meeting the individual needs of all students
- hold a valid and current South Carolina teaching certificate in the needed content area.
- are experienced in the use and incorporation of instructional technology tools in their teaching
- have a propensity for collaboration and a willingness to be a part of a VirtualSC content team
- can meet the rigorous demands of online teaching and (where necessary with adjuncts) can manage those demands along with those of their full-time jobs
- are enthusiastic about working in a fast-paced, dynamic workplace
Content Areas and Courses
VirtualSC offers high school-level courses in the following content areas:
World Languages (French, German, Latin, and Spanish)
For a full list of course offerings, please visit our Course Catalog.
The Hiring Process
- Interested teachers submit an application online at https://careers.sc.gov.
- Applications are reviewed and interviews are extended to selected applicants.
- Applicants are invited to participate in a Skype video interview.
- Follow-up face-to-face interviews are scheduled for full-time applicants. Follow-up interviews may be scheduled for part-time applicants.
- Hiring recommendations are made and all interviewees are informed of the recommendation decision via email.
- Recommendees are sent information regarding early access to online training.
- Applicants approved for hire are extended a formal offer from the SC Department of Education’s Office of Human Resources.
- Attend a face-to-face day-long agency orientation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What opportunities exist to teach advanced level courses?
Because of increased teaching demands, we make every effort to assign Honors and AP level courses to full-time teachers; however, part-time teachers who possess the required endorsements, experience, and time are considered for advanced level teaching assignments. VirtualSC currently offers Honors-level courses in English, fine arts, science, and world languages. AP courses are offered in computer science, English, math, science, social studies, and world languages. Please see our Course Catalog for a listing of all advanced course offerings.
Should I expect to receive notification if I have not been chosen for an interview?
Only applicants who are chosen for an interview are contacted. Applicants who do not receive interview invitations are encouraged to reapply when positions are reposted.
How long does the application process take?
Every effort is made to contact applicants within two weeks of applying.
Can I apply directly to VirtualSC or CERRA?
Applications for VirtualSC teaching positions may only be submitted via the South Carolina state jobs portal at jobs.sc.gov.
Are there teaching opportunities for out-of-state applicants?
While every effort is made to employ residents of SC, out-of-state applicants who hold valid SC teaching certificates may be considered for positions in high need content areas.
Are there full-time and part-time opportunities available?
>We are always on the lookout for highly qualified, talented part-time teachers to join our faculty. The majority of our part-time positions are posted during our spring semester (January-March) in preparation for the summer, though some part-time positions may post throughout the year to meet unexpected needs. Full-time positions are legislatively mandated and, therefore, are posted at the beginning of each new fiscal year (in July after the legislative session has ended).
Can I be dually employed by VirtualSC and another school or company?
The majority of our part-time teachers are employed full-time with another school or company. Full-time teachers may be approved to work part-time outside of their required office hours. Such requests are handled on a case-by-case basis. Part-time teachers are not required to seek approval from VirtualSC for secondary (full or part-time) employment.
Must I possess the online teaching endorsement in order to be considered for a teaching position?
We highly recommend teachers interested in working with VirtualSC to obtain the online teaching endorsement; however, at this time, it is not a requirement.
Want to Learn More?
Questions can be sent to email@example.com.